THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Possible Site Choices - 4 considerations

After re-thinking some of the questions I was posed with during the last critique I returned to Point Douglas with the intention of staying away from the bridge this time. A few other areas sparked me interest, which I will list, locate on the map & briefly explain...they are in no particular order however some feel more developed at this point -

1. Residential area located at the North West corner of Point Douglas: I like this area because it allows the possibility for my project to potentially have a starting point, instead of a particular site or confined area. The area is about 6 blocks square and is essentially dense, low income housing. Where I find the potential is with the space in between the houses, particularly the 4 main back lane ways, which can be seen on the map. It may be interesting to use my above & below concept to tackle the in between? With this said I would be able to develop a program surrounding infill structure possibly with an inspired undertone of the politics of homelessness which is prevalent within Point Douglas as a whole. Basically the theme would be 'infill', but not necessarily housing....

2. Vacant river bank stretching from Waterfront Dr. turning circle to Dewdney Ave : I'm drawn to this area because of the possibility for a design which involves the idea or concept of span but which also incorporates the idea of the above and below duality that I keep returning to which could potentially involve the water and land. I find this area lacking something but I'm not entirely sure what exactly that is, I think that's part of what draws me here. I'm intrigued that such a beautiful piece of land, directly in contact with the river can go essentially unused. Also the river bank, in particular within the constraints that I have located, is home to many homeless individuals within the area which would also be an interesting element within the project as mentioned in site 1 explanation.

3. The River surrounding all of Point Douglas or part thereof: I decided to make the river a possibility for the basis of my studio because it holds possibility is terms of addressing the generation of space as well as acting as a possible catalyst for a virus effect and also finally provides the opportunity for me to address span in terms of the relationship between upper and lower, which is a prominent element within my machine. By choosing the river I have the option to select a starting point in relation to land or other undetermined factors for the 'virus' in an architectural sense but also I have the opportunity of repetition of this starting point through the use of more river, but also variation because it is a river. Also by using the river I can relate both Point Douglas and the land across the water tying two regions together or separating them further. Also I can address many elements within the Point Douglas area without being constrained, which is the potential drawback to some of my other site choices. So far the river may be my favourite...

4. Train tracks spanning from East to West through Point Douglas: Currently this choice is the least developed. I think it offers some of the same possibilities as the river does as a selection in that is embodies repetition but also provides a position for start and the opportunity for expansion, growth and possibly span. Currently the tracks act as a point of separation, with attention they could be seen as a joining element...again I'm not entirely sure about this choice but I also like the interaction that the tracks have with the river on the East side.

Each of these four choices offer similar as well as different benefits, drawbacks, possibilities and ideas as far as the potential of my studio progression is concerned...I would appreciate input on each or any of them with specific feedback.

No comments: