THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

...virus, parasite, water, river, model...

After having chosen a site I have now realized that I have chosen too big of an area, or while I'm on the subject of area, I probably shouldn't have chosen an "area" at all...this is all getting very abstract...I should clarify...

Going back to what I was saying a few days ago it's important for me to choose a starting point or a beginning rather than a particular piece of land which I wish for my virus to inhabit. This makes sense because the path of a virus cannot necessarily be predicted, or contained for that matter, therefore I have no way of knowing the coverage of my project when I have absolutely no idea what my project is at the moment, this however is not a bad thing, but rather a way of process and method that I'm trying to get used to.

My model needs to be able to grow and transform exactly the same way my virus will grow, expand and modify. To start things off I am going to construct the starting point of my virus. The starting point is within the area that I wanted to choose as my entire site because I think it's important that my virus have access to the points which I see to be significant, if all the spaces are not inhabited then that is fine, if the area is completely taken over and the virus spreads throughout the entire area of Point Douglas that is also fine, I need to keep things unpredictable.

I've been reading 'The Art of Being a Parasite' - Claude Combes. Currently I am focusing my studies on Chapter 4 entitled 'The Profession of Host' in attempt to gather information that will point me towards a starting point within the area which I have chosen to begin the inhabitation or infection process of the parasite. As I mentioned in a previous post viral distribution takes place effectively within water, therefore providing a platform for contagious spread because water is difficult to avoid within life. Parasites have a tight relationship with water (120). Water is an excellent carrier because during the beginning stages of inhabitation the parasite is typically undetectable by the host, therefore it is unnoticeable and moves in.

The area I have chosen to work within contains a section of river bank, which is obviously connected to the river - containing water. The river bank meeting the water will be the starting point for my virus or parasite (I will most likely refer to it as both until I figure things out further or make a distinction between the two).

Back to the model...I will be beginning where my starting point is and constantly working with the possibility of growth and spread in mind as a necessity. As I mentioned, the model has to be able to grow just as the virus contained or present. I've been thinking about ways of joining different pieces together and have come up with a joint system that allows other pieces to be constructed to fit into what already exists as well as for that new piece to shift or extend accordingly. By using this method, unlimited sections can be added to the whole, therefore never forcing the model to reach a finishing point, which works nicely with the idea of a virus never exactly having a defined starting or ending point, and also having the ability to modify itself. As the project develops new pieces will be added and perhaps new methods of building/constructing will be developed as I become more intimate with the virus, right now I have no way of predicting this.

I will begin with topography of the river bank moving from the water level towards flatter land levels. Slabs of layers will step as I go, purposefully leaving a void space underneath the structure to potentially deal with the underneath space at a later date (it'll be nice to leave this open as an option). The biscuit joint system that I explained above will be present around the perimeter of this first section to allow for attachments. I will begin construction out of hard board (?) which again could be adapted as I progress.

No comments: