THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 14, 2008

Site Possibility...Disraeli Fwy & Sutherland Ave. - Bridge

I decided to go to Point Douglas and explore to look for a site that spoke to me regarding how my studio has developed so far. Usually a site gets chosen according to the function that it is to suit and then the project gets developed accordingly. In this case I have essentially designed something that does not yet have a purpose or a location so I find it therefore appropriate to chose a location within the site that has something to say yet I'm unsure of exactly what it is saying to me - hopefully it will begin to tell me!

One of the most important elements to me regarding the state that my machine is in is the relationship that it creates between the 'up' and 'down'. Whenever I go to Point Douglas I'm always drawn to the area where the Disraeil Freeway crosses Sutherland Ave. The freeway crosses over Higgins, therefore requiring a bridge, which I love. The space underneath this area seems to be missing something which I can't completely put my finger on at this point.

The thing about a bridge is that is conquers the relationship of the over and underneath by dividing the two and clearly defining their boundaries yet not completely separating the two ideas, which is essentially what my machine manages to do. I'm not entirely sure where this will take me but right now I like that a bridge as mentioned deals with the relationship with over and under, creates a natural void space typically overlooked, has void spaces within, creates a dark space in need of light which could work nicely with the capabilities of my machine, and provides the opportunity to re-think a system that is widely used in the architectural world yet is often overlooked as a visual piece but instead focused on in terms of functionality.






No comments: