THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, October 19, 2007

Component Construction - the beginning! (feet)

Today I went and got all the necessary supplies to begin the construction of new feet for my monster that will incorporate the new legs into their design. After talking to a bunch of people, visiting a few art stores and searching the internet like a maniac I have decided to attempt some mold making which will give me a final product made out of resin.
The first step in the process was figuring out the new design for the feet and then modeling them out of clay. This is where I currently am in the process. The rest of the step will begin in the morning as they will take several hours and must be completed all at once. Next will be coating my clay models with several coats of liquid rubber which is designed for mold making. Each layer must be painted on waiting 30 min in between each coat. After this is complete I will then make a base for the mold out of plaster of paris. Next I will fill the rubber mold (female piece) with a thin layer of clay the thickness that I wish the final object to be to create space between the female and male parts of the two part "squish mold". Once this is in place I will coat the inside with several coats of rubber once again and then complete the mold making process by filling the male portion with plaster to give it rigidity. Once both sides of the mold are dry and ready to go I will mix the resin mixture and pour it into the female side of the mold filling it about half way and then I will place the male side of the mold into the female side forcing the resin to fill the void between the two pieces. I will then wait for the resin to dry and pull the two pieces of the mold apart...and hopefully I will be left with a resin component in the form of the foot I have designed...we shall see!!!

No comments: