THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Plan B - Foot

Due to the failure of 'Plan A' I then created 'Plan B', which as I mentioned in a previous post involved an idea from earlier in my process that I decided to revisit. Basically a cutout of wood, sized larger than the existing foot shape, was designed to be sandwiched between the two pieces of plastic. This new shape became the base for securing the metal rods which act as legs to the monster. The shape started as simply a larger version of the original shape but after some trial and error I was able to modify the design so that less material could be used, therefore cutting down on the weight of the foot, which was an earlier issue I was aware of this time around. By modifying the shape I was also able to cut down on the possibility of the two feet hitting each other in the middle.

I first traced the plastic foot and made a cutout from mill board as a prototype as I knew the design might change once I secured the piece.

The shape was then able to be modified to preserve material and cut down on weight of the component.

I then took a tracing of the mill board foot with a few dimensions and imported it into AutoCad so that I could create a more polished template that I could reproduce easier and also mirror to create the opposite foot.

From here I used a wood composite board to create a new foot from the template I produced and then incorporated it into the monster with a connection piece I also created to secure the metal rod legs. The connection of leg to foot consists of a nut secured to the rod with high strength metal glue so that the leg would not slip out of the foot holes drilled into the wood board. The nut was then secured to a piece of nylon coated galvanized strapping used for copper piping so that a screw could be placed on each side of the rod connection, therefore prohibiting the rod from rotating, also an earlier issue I faced. Finally a nut was then placed on each of the screws sandwiching the connection around the wood board foot.

No comments: